Repairing Water Damage with Proper Rug Cleaning Method
If the rug suffers from water damage, then there are rug cleaning methods to prepare for the unknown situations. Go through this blogpost to know what you can do when an area of your house experiences flooding or there is some kind of water damage.
Get rid of water quickly
The sooner you can get the moisture out from your house, the less damage it will cause. This will mean pumping water out manually when the sump pump does not work. It means using a wet-dry vacuum for pulling out the moisture from rugs, upholstery, carpets and more. When water permeates surface, it invites the growth of mold, bacteria and mildew. This is applicable for basement flooring as the areas are more humid than other parts of your house.
Remove furniture from the room
After you remove bulk of water from the area, you can begin working to remove the items from the toom. This will provide a suitable chance to inspect them thoroughly and enable to sanitize the surface. You may take the items outside for drying properly in the sun after the weather gets cleared. Then get back to your room and see other areas that should be dried out. The walls may begin to smell in due course which makes your house an unpleasant place. Use a dehumidifier to pull the moisture out of the area and sop up all the water, if possible.
Deodorize and sanitize the rug
You should clean the rug properly and begin by vacuuming it gently with a dry/wet vacuum for pulling the moisture. After this, sanitise the surface of rug where there is damage from water. Try to dry your rug in a room where there had been no flooding. This room should have less traffic as you do not want people to walk over the rug when it dries completely. Switch on the fans and open the windows so that they may help in the drying process. The sooner the rug dries out, the better as there won’t be the growth of mold.
Assess the viability of rug
Flooding may be a major problem and your rugs may not be of any use after water damage. But there are many rugs which you can use by considering the time you had left your rug in the moisture and the amount of water it absorbed. You can take the rug to a professional cleaner who will take the right decision for your rug. He will make you understand the damage that occurred due to bacteria or mold. The rug care will suggest whether your rug requires a thorough cleaning before performing the service.
Steam cleaning of your rug
Once the professional finds out that your rug has sufficient life, he will suggest to perform steam cleaning of the rug. This can help to sanitise your rug and prevent it from further smells. Make sure you buy a new rug pad before returning the rug to your house. Throw the old rug pad as they are usually very absorbent and difficult to clean. Obviously, you do not want to keep rug on a surface where there is the growth of mold and bacteria. It is quite inexpensive to replace old rug pad than changing your rug.
Water damage from roof leakages
Some homeowners do not know about roof leaks until they suffer from heavy rainstorm. If you need to replace your roof, then hire an expert who can evaluate the exact condition. You should not wait for a long time to replace the roof. During the first leakage sign try to keep water away from the furnishings like indoor rugs. After this, call your roofing expert and see if he can provide 24/7 emergency services. Though they cannot replace the entire roof within a short notice, they can possibly patch the roof or avoid further damage to your house till you get the materials for roof replacement.
Some tips to prevent flooding
It is important to access your house properly to prepare yourself for the flood. By doing certain renovation works, you may avoid serious damage to your house. Some tips to consider are the following:
- Check foundation vents or sump pump as these devices for flood prevention may wear out in due course. See daily and change sump pump according to the recommendations before it breaks down.
- Apply sealants and coatings to your house as they can help with leak protection for the windows, doorways, foundation and walls. Make sure you close all the cracks to avoid flooding issues.
- If you stay in an area where there are greater chances of flooding, then you need to move electrical switches and outlets to one foot above the flood level. This can avoid serious damage to your house at the time of flooding.
- Some houses have poor grading on the lawn which brings water toward the house. You can regrade your lawn using heavy soil with sand and clay so that rainwater runoff away from your house.
- Mulch may hold water and when it sits directly next to your home siding, it may rot the siding and damage the base of your home.
- All downspouts pointing away from your house do not have any clogs. This ensures runoff goes away from the house during heavy storms.
- Do not use costly appliances in your basement such as dryers and washing machines. Check the placement of generator and air conditioning unit to put outdoor appliances on concrete blocks and avoid flood damage.
Thus, you need to hire professionals who provide rug cleaning services in your area and ensure your rugs are clean and dirt-free.